Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Flour-less Dark Chocolate Brownies




Apparently, when having our annual sister bake off, my brownies did not get any individual shots. So here is a group picture, with Sam's amazing Greek Yogurt Apple Caramel Cheesecake bars stealing front and center. 

The brownies still deserve some attention though! Of course, "healthy" when talking about brownies is somewhat relative, but these are decidedly better for you than traditional brownies, as well as being grain and gluten free. I made mine with peanut butter swirled into the top of the batter before cooking. 

Don't get thrown off by the secret ingredient! Many people, including some men who don't even like beans in chili, sampled them and thought they were quite tasty. Aforementioned men were totally floored when I told them afterwards that the brownies contained beans. Try them before you judge and I think you will be very pleasantly surprised....I was! 

*Disclaimer* I usually don't make exceptionally healthy desserts. My philosophy is that a dessert should taste like a dessert. If I want a salad, I know how to make that too but they should not be confused. However, when I can make something that is quite tasty and also a bit better for me, I call that a win-win. 

Flour-less Dark Chocolate Brownies 
 1 can black beans (15.5 oz), drained and rinsed. 
 1 egg (or 2 if you prefer a more cake like brownie)
 3 tablespoons butter, melted (coconut oil would probably be very yummy too) 
1/2-3/4 cup cocoa powder (if you prefer very dark, less sweet chocolate then use 3/4) 
 1/4 teaspoon salt
 1 teaspoon vanilla
 1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
Chocolate chips, peanut butter, walnuts, whatever sounds amazing to you(optional)

Rinse black beans thoroughly! Put all ingredients except optional toppings into blender and blend very well. You don't want any chunky pieces! Scrap batter into 9*9 glass pan and top according to your liking.
Bake at 350 F for about 25 minutes, being careful to not over bake. 

No comments:

Post a Comment