Friday, September 27, 2013

Buffalo Chicken Zucchini Boats

I was feeling uninspired yesterday by the contents of my fridge. I had leftover cubed chicken and some zucchini and I just wasn't excited about doing the usual casserole with rice or stir fry. Then I realized..what is more thrilling than cutting your zucchini into boats and stuffing them? Many things...but bear with me. 

I knew that if I was going to serve my husband anything in a boat of zucchini it better have an amazing flavor or bacon or lots of cheese. So, this is what I came up with.

Buffalo Chicken Zucchini Boats

4 medium zucchinis, cut in half lengthwise
4 strips of turkey bacon, diced
1/2 of a medium red onion
1/2 cup carrots, finely diced
1 tablespoon crushed garlic
1 1/2 cups cubed chicken
1/2 cup buffalo chicken sauce
Cheddar cheese to sprinkle on top

Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Meanwhile, hollow out the zucchini, reserving and chopping the insides.
 Cook the bacon in a pan until crispy then add the carrots and cook until tender, about 5-7 minutes. Add the reserved zucchini, onions, and garlic and cook until tender, about 3-5 minutes.
Mix in the chicken and hot sauce and remove from heat. Put the zucchini halves in the boiling water and boil for a minute. Remove from water and place in a 13x9 baking dish. Stuff the zucchini halves with the buffalo chicken mixture and sprinkle on as much or as little cheese as you like.
Bake in a preheated 350F oven until the zucchini is nice and tender and the cheese has melted, about 30-40 minutes.



 I'm happy to report that Nick loved these (so much that I didn't have time to take an "end product" picture) and said I should make them again very soon. I think they would be even more amazing with a homemade avocado ranch dressing.  So. next time your fridge is overflowing with zucchini and boring chicken, give this recipe a try! 




No comments:

Post a Comment